River Cottage (self-catering, sleeps 8) is situated within the Kogelberg Biosphere Reserve, on
a 9Ha smallholding along the Buffels River, which borders Pringle Bay. This
seaside village is an hour's drive from Cape Town, along the beautiful scenic
road between Gordon's Bay and Hermanus in the Western Cape. The secluded
location of River Cottage offers privacy and tranquillity, although it is only
3km from the village centre
The rustic cottage has two bedrooms and a loft, and can sleep up to 8 people. Bring your own bedding and
towels. Duvet inners, mattress protectors, pillows and pillow protectors are provided.
There is a bathroom and an outside, enclosed, hot water shower. The
fully-equipped kitchen includes a dishwasher. The open-plan living area includes a
fireplace. Enjoy a private outdoor braai area, shaded by trees near the banks of the river
There are numerous indoor and outdoor activities to provide enjoyment and pleasure to
visitors and locals alike.
At Otter's Creek...
Canoe, row, or swim 500m to the Pringle Bay beach, or follow the footpath along the
river, taking in the beauty and diversity of the indigenous Fynbos and birdlife.
kingdom has 1600 different plant species. Many Ericas, Proteas, Geophytes, and
Restios (grasses) grow on the smallholding and surrounding mountains and
Birdwatchers will take great delight in seeing Kingfishers (Malachite, Pied, and Giant), Sugarbirds, Sunbirds, Jackal Buzzards, Spotted Eagle Owls,
and a variety of garden and sea birds. Over 360 bird species can be found in the Biosphere.
A family of Cape Clawless otters live on the upstream banks at Otter's Creek, and are sometimes
seen playing on the grass, or swimming to and from the sea after sundown or at sunrise.
Porcupines, mongooses, and small buck are occasionally spotted along the paths.
In Pringle Bay...
- Interesting art galleries and gift shops
- Coffee shops, restaurants, and pubs
- Country shop
- Surfing and kiteboarding
- Fishing and shell-collecting
In surrounding areas...
- Southern Right and Humpback whale-watching along the coast between August and November
- Wine routes in Stellenbosch, Franschoek, and the Hemel-en-Aarde valley in Hermanus
- Golfing at the Arabella Country Estate along the Botriver Lagoon, or in Kleinmond
- White-water rafting on the Palmiet River in winter
- Harold Porter National Botanical Garden in Betty's Bay
- Stony Point Jackass penguin breeding colony in Betty's Bay
- Sand boarding on Silversands dunes in Betty's Bay
- Mountain biking and road cycling
- Hiking in the Kogelberg Biosphere Reserve
- Diving, and crayfishing and mussel harvesting (permits available from post office)
Rates (Valid until Jan 2019)
A non-refundable deposit of 50% is required to confirm booking.
(March to November, excluding Easter school holidays, long weekends and public holidays)
R 1500.00 per night (sleeps up to 8, includes loft room)
(December to end February, Easter school holidays, long weekends and public holidays)
R 1800.00 per night (sleeps up to 8, includes loft room)
Weekends & week nights - 2 nights
Long weekends - 3 nights
In period 10th Dec to 10th Jan - 7 nights
Hire of Canoe (includes paddles):
R50 per day or R100 for a weekend
Contact & Booking:
Barbara on 084 392 9099
We regret, no smoking inside River Cottage,and no pets allowed.